Portable appliances are allowed to be relocated with set-up procedures which demonstrate that the fuel input is maintained at the approved rating or less, and without changing set points on regulators and pressures switches.
The main burner orifice can be changed on the portable unit to achieve the same fuel input for switching between propane and natural gas, and can only be operated up to the maximum fuel input they were rated for on the approval rating plate.
ENEFEN requires that the following be followed for portable appliance set-up procedures in order to meet safety and compliance regulations:
1. Keep a Change Log with the portable unit to record the set-up procedures for all site and fuel changes. This assures the system setup is completed properly in accordance to instruction manuals and approved rating plate. The following should be noted:
a. Appliance Location
b. Supply Fuel Type & Source
c. Approved Maximum Fuel Input (for example, .338 MM for Btuh for Natural Gas / .342 MM Btuh for Propane)
d. Regulator and Pressure Switch Set Points (Main fuel PRV, Pressure falling/rising set points)
e. Orifice Sizes for Both Propane and Natural Gas (for example, #27 for Natural Gas / #31 for Propane)
2. Log is to be completed with printed technician name, date of change, and signature of qualified combustion technician doing the change work. Included must be confirmation that the maximum fuel input of the appliance is not being exceeded.
3. A copy of the Change Log is kept with the appliance at all times.
4. A copy of each Change Log entry sent to and maintained by the owner.
5. Demonstrate that the system is operated with the set points recorded during field inspection and within the limitations of appliance’s approval recorded on the rating plate. Regulator and pressure set points are not to be changed. Failure to maintain the documented set points results in voiding the field approval for the appliance.
6. Provide written instruction and operations manuals, specific to your equipment and to be included with the portable appliance's log book. Suggested sections include:
a. Operations Summary
b. Portable Appliance Set-up Procedure
c. Set-up Checklist / Change Log
d. Combustion Report
e. System Shutdown Procedure and Checklist
f. Fuel Conversion Procedure
g. Equipment Rental Agreement (if applicable)
7. Send portable appliance’s operations manual, set-up procedures and logs to ENEFEN as part of your project documentation before the field inspection is scheduled.
When ENEFEN arrives on site to conduct the field inspection, the inspector will confirm the instruction manual and log are in place with the appliance and includes elements that assures the system operates within the limitations of its approval.